My Best Friend...My Soul Mate...My Husband

Flash back to the eighties...

It's prom night 1986, the one and only time you will ever see my husband in a pink cumber-bun and bow tie!

Hair bands are in, neon was everywhere, shirt collars were popped and I was excited to be going to my senior prom with my boyfriend. It was a beautiful evening and just the beginning of our lives together.

Terri and Steven - Senior Prom

We had dated throughout my high school years. Eventually, when his parents divorced he moved back to New York. I went away to school and he went to New York with his family. We did the long distance thing for awhile but eventually I moved there as well.  Several years later we were married.


Our Wedding Day

I honestly couldn't picture my life without him. Steven has been by my side through good times and in bad. Through tears of joy and tears of great sadness. We are best friends, we know what the other is thinking and we know what makes the other tick. When we fight, we fight hard, but we love just as hard. I would do anything for him and I know he would do the same for me.

Our first two children were born in New York, they are quite proud of that to I might add. For 10 years we called Long Island, New York home. While I saw my parents often, it was hard at times being away from them.

My Mom became ill and she would be getting worse as her disease progressed. Steven knew how much I missed her and I wanted to spend as much time that I could with her, so he moved us to Missouri. I will forever be grateful to him for that. I was able to spend a few precious years with her before she passed. Steven was by my side the entire time. When I wept, he wept.

He is the most caring man I know. Although he may seem a bit rough with his New York accent coming through now and then, he has so much love inside him and he puts everyone before him. (Well, except when it comes to blueberry scones).

I do not know what I would do without him by my side.

A marriage isn't easy and it doesn't come with a marriage 101 book to get you started either. We were young when we got married, but we have certainly written and added many chapters to our own "how to" marriage book. We have had our ups and we have certainly had more than our fair share of downs, but after more than 20 years of marriage, I think we got it somewhat under control.

Where others have given up on their marriage, we pressed through. Like a garden that needs to be tended, when you forget to water the plants, they start to wither, we simply remind each other when it's time to tend the garden.

He lifts me up when the world lets me down, he grounds me and keeps me safe. He is the foundation of our family and my personal rock.

Our children are growing up so fast, luckily we spaced them out a bit, so no empty nest syndrome yet. We both talk about how we look forward to watching them spread their wings and become the amazing individuals we know they are destined to be.




And I can honestly say that after three beautiful children, and all that goes along with that...I wouldn't change a thing. I love my husband more today than I did yesterday and I look forward to growing old with him, sitting on our porch swing and watching the grand kids play in the yard.


I love you Steven James Kraham...always and forever.





This entry was posted on 2:59 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: