As I am sitting in my dad's living room watching the sunlight beam through the window, sipping my coffee, I am anxiously awaiting for everyone to awake and kick of this special day. The Macy's Day Parade is being recorded, just in case my littlest one sleeps in...ahhh it is Thanksgiving.

I keep catching myself just smiling looking over at my dad sleeping in the family room. He is very still and breathing loudly and it is a glorious site.

Happy Thanksgiving Daddy

When we first brought him home and into hospice over five weeks ago, the nurse told me he had just a few weeks. I wept, a lot. But I told her he was strong.

Since then they have nick named him the grizzly bear. Partly because it would take a grizzly bear to tolerate the meds they have him on and partly because he is so darn strong. He is still getting up from his bed to go to his chair. He insists on using the restroom, by himself. He has such a strong will and I am so unbelievably proud, blessed, and honored to have this time with him.


All he has really talked about since he came home was Thanksgiving, and we have been planning it together since. Where would we have it, what would we have, who would be here...

I am happy to say that it is indeed Thanksgiving, and the most blessed one I have ever had. We are having it here, we will set up tables in a makeshift Thanksgiving feast style around the hospital bed, oxygen tanks, med tables and the like. My littlest one will make her place setting pictures with everyone's name and decide where we sit (papa always at the head of the table of course) and we will do our best to not notice that he really isn't eating much. We will give thanks for all that we have and for me...for this unbelievably special day with my dad.

These past five weeks that I have stayed here with him, I have had so much to be thankful for. Of course for this precious time God has given me with him, hearing the stories, being his caretaker and just sitting by his bedside. But also for my family. My husband Steven, son Sean, daughter Samantha and youngest daughter Tessa. They have been so supportive, have come over every night and call or text me every morning to see if Papa is ok, if I am doing ok, and if I need anything. My husband takes care of our house and our two older ones make sure our youngest one gets to school every morning. They all make grocery and errand runs and take turns staying with Papa if I need to go to a meeting. Tessa writes me a note every night that she cannot spend the night with me and leaves it somewhere for me to find. Or she will set up a Tessa look a like in my bed for me to snuggle with. I am so thankful and blessed to have such a loving supportive family. I could not have done this without them.

My snuggle replacement for Tessa she left for me (Just not the same)

Just knowing that I woke up today to my dad still breathing is enough to make me thankful. But knowing that I am going through all of this with my unbelievably wonderful family...makes me twice blessed.

I pray that you feel as blessed as I do today and that your Thanksgiving day is surrounded by friends, family, good health, laughter and cheer.

Make some memories today that you will remember for a lifetime...I plan to do just that.

Happy Thanksgiving from our home to yours...

Happy Thanksgiving






This entry was posted on 7:40 AM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: