My number one New Year’s Resolution: Get a good night of sleep.

Yes, that’s it, just one night of honest to goodness sleep. One that I sleep through the night, not waking to pee, or by the dog barking or my kids coming in or by my own, um snoring, yes I admit it! I snore and I yearn for a morning in which I exclaim, “Wow, I feel rested.”

Yes, this is me usually, mouth open snoring...sexy ain't it! 

First let me start off by saying the laughing starts every time the kids have a friend sleep over…(giggles) “What  is that?” response from one of my wonderful children… “That would be my mom snoring.” (Uncontrollable laughter)

If you are like the more than 45% of normal adults that snore or the 25% of habitual snorers out there, getting a good night sleep can be a task not easily achievable (for you or the person trying to sleep next to you) especially if you would rather not resort to sleeping pills, muscle relaxers or that wonderful tasting medicine that resembles Jagermeister, yuck. 

It’s important to  note that snoring can be a sign of something much more serious such as sleep apnea  (4% of the above mentioned normal adults snoring are associated with obstructive sleep apnea) which can lead to many medical problems, so be sure to consult with your doctor.

However, if you have ruled out more serious conditions and feel that you are snoring because your exhausted, your daytime routine or your bedtime routine are just not what they should be, then getting a good night sleep naturally is possible. But (oh yes, there is indeed a “but” in there) you have to be willing to make some changes. I know, I know, I am not all that fond of change myself, but if you are willing to make some simple changes, you just may be on your way to a peaceful slumber.

There are a lot of factors that play into my own nights of restless sleep, for instance; the dogs (but they are so cute and very warm on cold nights), my littlest one sleeping with us (also extremely cute and like a freaking hot box some nights! Couple that with menopause, whew!), our uncomfortable bed, noise, my snoring, you name it...so I have my work cut out for me, but I am willing to do it in the name of sleep!

All of 5 pounds soaking wet, but radiates heat!

Here are five easy tips that I found while looking for my own silvery slumber (and are really common sense) that you can do immediately to help you lull into a restful night of sleep.

      Tip number 1: Keeping a regular sleep schedule.

Wait what?!  But I taped the last episode of The Walking Dead! The kids are finally asleep and I have to watch it! It’s easier said than done, but necessary if you want some good pillow time. This means, going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time, wait for it…without an alarm. I have read stories about this one myself, and apparently it can be done.

2      Tip number 2: Control your Melatonin.

To put it in basic terms, Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone that is controlled by light exposure. So reading a back lit device before bed (like a tablet), watching television, not getting enough light during the day, these, among other things, can all throw that balance off. Ever notice that you are even more tired during the winter months?  There is less light during the day. So put down the tablet, turn off the TV and go outside during lunch, all would be a great start to getting a better night’s sleep.
  
      Tip number 3: Keep a relaxing bedtime routine. 

Sounds easy enough right? Well, add in the dogs barking outside, loud neighbors, kids making noise, kids sleeping in your bed, radio or TV going, too hot or too cold in the house, partner reading his tablet, uncomfortable bed (are you reading this my wonderful hubby) all of those make it hard to relax and drift off.  Easy fix; reserve your bed for sleeping and sex. (Now I have his attention) Try to relax by taking a warm bath, listen to soft music or do some stretches, clear your mind to make it easier to drift off.

4    Tip number 4: Get your anxiety and stress under control.

What me? Stressed? Naaaa. Clearing your mind before bed is hard to do and turning it all off is not that easy, but essential for a good night of sleep. Try deep breathing, counting or telling your body to relax; start at your toes and go all the way up to the top of your head. Visualize yourself getting a relaxing night of sleep.

5     Tip number 5: Eat right and exercise.

Yup, that is the hardest one for me. I love my nighttime snack, chocolate, pasta; you name it I always seem to be hungry at night. Then add to that the fact that me and exercise just don’t seem to mesh well, evident from my ever growing backside. So, I feel for you. However, in order to up your chances for a good night sleep, you need to stay away from snacking and meals prior to bedtime, if you go to bed at 10 pm, then no eating after 8 pm. Avoid alcohol and caffeine before bed as well as drinking too many liquids. Remember that what you do during the day; eating and exercise routines, will affect you at night. So do your best to watch what you put into your body and try to get in that exercise each day, you will feel better and you will sleep better.

OK this is not the magic secret to sleeping better, and none of the above is really a secret at all. They are things we should be doing anyway. There are of course additional tips to help you sleep well, but I am going to start with the above and see how it goes. 

Bottom line, we all need to be mindful of what we put into our bodies and how we treat our bodies and then make a few simple changes in our routine and a restful night sleep might just be in our grasp. Now, if you will excuse me, my husband would like to talk to me about tip number 3. Here’s to restful sleeping!

Shhhhh!

Terri Kraham
Freelance Writer and mother of three
(Four if you include my husband)

Tip References:




This entry was posted on 12:10 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: